Thank you for supporting our Ventura County students!
Every year, thousands of students apply for VCCF scholarships. Letters of reference are a vital part of the VCCF Scholarship application process. They provide members of the selection committee with a holistic view of the student during the evaluation process. Letters of reference reveal much about the applicant, and they allow selection committee members to better understand the applicant’s goals, aspirations, work ethic, and character.
“I’m a recommender because grades and activities only tell part of the story.
My hope is that a well-written letter of rec tells a donor the student’s story of
grit and perseverance.”
—SARAH PAGE, HIGH SCHOOL AVID TEACHER AND RECOMMENDER
Before you get started on your letter, please take a moment to review the following important information.
- Students will ask if you would be willing to write a letter of reference on their behalf. If you agree, you will need to provide the student with your full name and email address.
- Once the student has added your name and email address to their application, you will receive an automated email from Ventura County Community Foundation Scholarships with information on submitting a letter of reference. Be sure to check your junk mail folder!
- Note: You must submit your letter of recommendation as a PDF file. This is the only accepted format. Word documents will not be accepted.
- After you submit a letter of recommendation, the student will receive a notification email informing them that the letter has been submitted. The student will not be able to read the content of the letter, they will only see you submitted the letter.
Please be sure to include the following information in your letter of recommendation:
- Your relationship to the student
- How long you have known the student
- The areas of strength of this student
- The student’s work ethic
If you know the student in an academic capacity, please also address the student’s participation in class, as well as their skills in collaborating with and listening to others.
Unfortunately, applicants who do not have two letters of reference are automatically disqualified from the VCCF scholarship application process.
If you are unable to write a letter of reference for a student, please notify the student immediately so that the student can ask someone else.
VCCF staff will be available via the Zoom Q&A sessions to answer any questions from recommenders.
- Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2020 5:30-6:30pm (Q&A) – Register Now
- Thursday, Dec. 17, 2020 2:00-3:00pm (Q&A) – Register Now
- Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2021 3:30-4:30pm (Q&A) – Register Now
- Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2021 2:00-3:00pm (Q&A) – Register Now
For additional questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (805) 330-6668 or (805) 330-6669.
Submitting Your Letter of Recommendation
How to convert your letter into a PDF file
How to submit your Letter of Recommendation
Important: When entering the submission platform, be sure to click on the “References & Reviewers” tab
before entering your email address and password
I was initially planning on majoring in business administration; however I recently changed my major to nursing. My ultimate goal after college is to change the world in a positive way and save lives!