SoCalGas and Sempra Energy Foundation Pledge as Much as $350,000 to California Wildfire Victims
Read the full story below or on the Mojave Desert News website.
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 19, 2018 – Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) and the Sempra Energy Foundation today announced as much as $350,000 in combined donations to support relief efforts for victims and evacuees impacted by the major wildfires that continue to burn throughout California. The contributions include:
• $75,000 in disaster relief assistance from SoCalGas;
• $25,000 in donations from Sempra Energy, the holding company that includes SoCalGas and San Diego Gas & Electric;
• $75,000 in donations from the Sempra Energy Foundation, a private foundation of Sempra Energy, to the American Red Cross; and
• $75,000 in donations from the Sempra Energy Foundation to the United Way of Ventura County, designated for the wildfire disaster-relief fund.
In addition, the Sempra Energy Foundation has agreed to match Sempra Energy employee donations up to $50,000 to the American Red Cross and United Way of Ventura County, adding potentially $100,000 to the total contribution for relief efforts.
“SoCalGas crews have been working with first responders around the clock to keep communities safe and to restore natural gas service to impacted customers because we know that being without natural gas service may be difficult, especially when temperatures are low,” said Trisha Muse, director of community relations at SoCalGas. “It is our hope that these donations provide some relief and support to the thousands of families impacted by these devastating fires.”
“Residents have faced so much devastation and confusion throughout these terrible wildfires,” said Eric Harrison, president and CEO of United Way of Ventura County. “The continued support from the Sempra
Energy Foundation, SoCalGas, and Sempra Energy employees will go a long way to provide immediate assistance to impacted households in Ventura County. We’re so thankful for their ongoing generosity.”
Through its strong network of volunteers, donors, and partners, the American Red Cross works to provide care, shelter, and hope for all people across the country and around the world affected by disaster.
In times of emergency, the United Way of Ventura County works to improve people’s lives by mobilizing a wide range of partners to provide the necessary resources to those who need it most.
In addition to the American Red Cross and the United Way of Ventura County, the SoCalGas donations will support the following relief funds and organizations:
• American Red Cross, Central California Region
• American Red Cross, Los Angeles Region
• Ventura County Fire Department’s Widows, Orphans and Assistance Fund
• Ventura County Community Foundation, Hills Fire and Woolsey Fires Sudden Urgent Needs Fund
• Friends of Ventura County Animal Services
• Los Angeles County Fire Department Foundation
• Big Heart Ranch
• Boys & Girls Club of Malibu, Malibu Fire Relief Fund
• Los Angeles County Animal Care Foundation Noah’s Legacy Fund
SoCalGas has more than 100 field representatives working alongside fire fighters in support of public safety and first responders. In areas where evacuation orders have been lifted, SoCalGas crews are working diligently to restore natural gas service to customers impacted by the fire.